bluextc89
bluextc89, Small Business Owner
Experience:  MECP Certified, Car Audio Pro 17 Years. Shop owner 5 years.
22516588

need help replacing timing belt on a 2006 suzuki forenza

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 4 years ago.

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, read and understand the entire procedure and take any/all safety prcautions.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Disconnect the Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor connector.
  4. Disconnect the air cleaner outlet hose from the throttle body.
  5. Disconnect the breather tube from the camshaft cover.
  6. Remove the air cleaner housing bolts.
  7. Remove the air cleaner housing.
  8. Remove the right front wheel.
  9. Remove the right front wheel well splash shield.
  10. Remove the serpentine drive belt.
  11. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolts and the crankshaft pulley.
  12. Remove the right engine mount bracket.
  13. Remove the front timing belt cover bolts.
  14. Remove the front timing belt cover.
  15. Using the crankshaft gear bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the timing mark on the crankshaft gear is aligned with the notch at the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Fig-
Aligning the timing mark on the crankshaft gear with the notch at the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.

Register Here

Fig- Aligning the camshaft gears with the notches on the camshaft cover.

1. Align the camshaft gears with the notch on the camshaft cover.
  2. Remove the timing belt.
  3. Loosen the automatic tensioner bolt. Turn the hex-key tab to relieve belt tension.

To install:

1. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft gear with the notch on the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.
  2. Align the timing marks on the camshaft gears, using the intake gear mark for the intake gear and the exhaust gear mark for the exhaust gear.
  3. Install the timing belt.
  4. Turn the hex-key tab in a clockwise direction to tension the belt. Turn until the pointer aligns with the notch.
  5. Install the automatic tensioner bolt and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  6. Rotate the crankshaft two full turns clockwise using the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  7. Recheck the automatic tensioner pointer.
  8. Install the front timing belt cover.
  9. Install the front timing belt cover bolts and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
  10. Install the right engine mount bracket.
  11. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the crankshaft pulley bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  12. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  13. Install the right front wheel well splash shield.
  14. Install the right front wheel.
  15. Install the air cleaner housing.
  16. Install the air cleaner housing bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  17. Connect the air cleaner outlet hose to the throttle body.
  18. Connect the breather tube to the camshaft cover.
  19. Connect the MAT sensor connector.
  20. Connect the negative battery cable.

I saw your question was mis-categorized, but in the interest of answering your question quickly - I happened to have the procedure from previous work on a personal vehicle.

I'll ask it be put in the proper category in case there is an issue.

Thanks for using J.A.!!

Edited by bluextc89 on 10/29/2010 at 12:20 PM EST
bluextc89, Small Business Owner
Experience: MECP Certified, Car Audio Pro 17 Years. Shop owner 5 years.