Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a Garmin nuvi 205w Series GPS that needs an update,

I have a Garmin nuvi 205w Series GPS that needs an update, we currently have 2009 mapping. I understand that there are free updates is this correct? How do we go about doing an upgrade to a newer map?
Thanks
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

O.k.,first you have to make sure you have the cable that came with the device when you purchased it,this cable connects this device to your computer,then you will have to log into Garmin's website(I have posted the link here for you)and follow the instructions for your device on updating the maps.

The website should walk you through the rest to setup and update your device,there is a free map update link to click on on the website,you will have to click on it and follow the instructions to see if your device qualifies.

http://www8.garmin.com/updatemaps/

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have a cable that connects to my computer will any usp cable do?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Since you do not have the correct cable for your device you will have to purchase the correct cable either online through places like Ebay or Garmin or similar.

You will have to have the correct cable to do this update to prevent any damage to your GPS device.You may have to do some searching to find the correct cable.