bluextc89
bluextc89, Small Business Owner
Experience:  MECP Certified, Car Audio Pro 17 Years. Shop owner 5 years.

2006 Toyota Avalon Loss of sound in stereo. JBL 12 speaker

Customer Question

2006 Toyota Avalon Loss of sound in stereo. JBL 12 speaker 6 CD changer. Radio displays all work cassette and CD all appear to work no audio sound in speakers. There is a clicking alternating around in speakers I can stop by disconnecting speakers at amp under pass seat. Ran system check mode no DTC. Display N036 did appear not sure what that means. I also have no display for AUDIO CONT I replaced radio assembly as per trouble chart and still same problem exist.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Audio_holic82 replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Audio_holic82 :

Thank you for your question. Can you please tell me when this issue started for you?

Audio_holic82 :

Also, was it all of the sudden that it quit or has it been fading out intermittently for a while?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
I saw that you went off line so I closed the chat session. Please respond to your question in the Q&A section and I will be more that happy to assist you. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started all of sudden no sound in speakers and clicking started.
Did you replace the radio with a stock radio(Toyota) or an aftermarket one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stock Radio matching model # XXXXX face plate # XXXXX was used the seller said it was in good working condition. I did not replace with new as Toyota quouted $1400.00 plus.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have good faith in you I will check back in 1/2 hour no need to rush. accuracy is more important.
Thanks Rich
Hey Rich,

Just to clarify, the unit powers up and is functional, just no sound out of speakers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes all radio fm am CD even works. No audio only a clicking sound in speakers. Clicking sound rotates around to all speakers. Clicks in front R then front L then moves to doors and rear just a little click then moves to next speaker a few seconds later then next but no Audio
Thanks
Rch
Do you have the JBL sound system?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes JBL Toyota calles it series # 3 12 speaker 6 CD changer model 86120-AC150 face plate #A51819 The replacement unit was exact match.
Ok, it sounds like your problem could be more than one thing. First off, it could be the radio itself not outputting the audio to the speakers. Second, it could be the factory amplifier that has gone bad or has a blown fuse. Typically it is the unit or the amp. Since you just got the unit, start with the amp. It is located under the front passenger seat. See if a fuse is attached to the amp and make sure it isn't blown. If there is no fuse, check all fuses on the interior of the vehicle and under the hood. It should be labeled amp or radio or something similar. Check all of the fuses and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If a fuse was blown I should have gotten a NRES when I did a system check. When I did a system check all was good. I did get a N036 which I can not find what that means. I did go back and check all fuses and they are good. Is there a way to check speakers. I treid to reliase wires from plug that is out put to speakers. I could not release wires from plug. I want to disconet speakers and check 1 by 1 to make shure this is not problem before I guess and buy amp. I did not want to cut and mend wires. I want to relase from plug and test.
Rich
Hey Rich,

In order to test the speakers you will need to pop them to make sure they are getting output from the amp. Your wires go from the unit to the amp then to the speakers. Below is your wiring for the audio.

WIRECOLORPOLARITYLOCATION
Battery RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BROWN (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination GREEN (+) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Amp Turn On
LF Speaker (+) BLACK
LF Speaker (-) WHITE
RF Speaker (+) RED
RF Speaker (-) GREEN
Amp Location UNDER RIGHT FRONT SEAT
Steering Cntrls YES
Speed Cntrl YES
Radio Security YES
Note: Audiovox makes no representation or warranty with respect to the above information including its accuracy, completeness, or its freedom from third parties' proprietary rights. Audiovox disclaims all liability or responsibility for errors or omissions therein or any decision made by the recipient in reliance thereon. The installer must verify any circuitry with the proper test equipment prior to installation.
Now to test the speakers you really need to use a special tool but you can also make one. To do this you are going to need a AAA battery, 2 six inch long pieces of wire, and electrical tape. Strip back the wire and tape one wire to the negative side of the battery and one wire to the positive side of the battery. Tape the length of the battery to make sure you have good contact. Once this is complete you will have a 1.5 volt phase tester. Take the positive side and touch the positve speaker wire you are testing and take the negative side and test the negative wire of the speaker you are testing. You should be able to hear a faint poping sound if it is making through the amp. If you don't hear the pop, the problem lies within your amp. Let me know how this works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will try this tomorrow
Thanks
Rich
You are very welcome! Please let me know how it turns out for you. Thanks for being a great customer Rich!!
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Testing the speakers PRE-AMP will do no good.
The amplifier's output ICs (triggered with DATA BUS) will not switch unless there is power to the amplifier.

I really would like for you to check for a blown fuse under-hood.
The JBL amplifier shares Accessory power with the radio but gets Constant power from a 30A fuse labeled "AMP" that is located in the fusebox under the hood. This circuit is not tested when you run diagnostics. Only the items using data bus are.

Next - please be sure you have power turn-on to the amplifier. (im going to assume YES since there is SOME audio output.)
You can use a simple test light or Multimeter set to DC 20x.

With the car off - probe the yellow wire (#34) on the amplifier's 24 pin plug. It should read 0 V
Switching the vehicle on, this same terminal should read approximately 12V DC

This (right) plug will not detatch.

graphic

graphic graphic

The other 20-pin plug at the radio contains wires for the steering wheel controls and system data lines.

Check the Fuse under the hood - then probe for 12V at pin 34. If both are good - the amplifier has failed.

I have a call in to a buddy (Toyota Service Manager at largest dealer in the country) to see if there are any recalls or known failures in the amplifier that would cause the signal to rotate speakers. (thereby proving an amplifier failure)

If you would like to save $$ and have the amplifier REPAIRED instead of replaced... HERE is a company I have used successfully on BOSE and JBL repairs out of Florida.

E-mailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
or
telephone(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>
Normal Business Monday Thru Friday 9am to 5pm EST

I'll re-post If there is any new information.

Thanks for using J.A.!

Edited by bluextc89 on 8/15/2010 at 2:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
bluextc89
I have checked fuses and all are good. If a fuse was blow when I do system check I should get a DTC The circut may not be tested but I shoud get a NRES or NCON if fuse was blown. If there was fuse blown the unit could not respond. I will check pin 13,17 and 24 as they all 12v. Thanks for the wiring digram, what a help I use Alldata and cound not find this information. Yes please chech with your buddy as I believe there are others having this problem. Checking with Avalon problems on google there are others but I could not find solution. Remember there is only clicking inspeakers that rotates not audio. I have no problem to repair or replace amp I just do want to guess. I took what was supposed to problem using Toyota manual and I was wrong. It cost money and time. Thanks
Rich
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Im sure he'll get back to me on monday - as service is closed on the weekends.
I'll be sure to keep on him. We speak regularly and have a good professional relationship.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I did remove seat again and I Have 12 constant at 13 and 17 and 4 when engine on. I believe 34 poweres some other thing. I will wait for your buddiies answer but I think it is pointing toward amp. Thanks for wiring diagram most helpful.
Rich
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Heard back from him early this a.m... and wanted to get this to you...

________________________________________________

----- Original Message ----- From: Uniontown Toyota To: Blueextc Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:56 AM Subject: Re:
Have your cust check under the front passenger seat for an amplifier. See if it is hot to the touch after driving with the radio on for 15-20 minutes. If so; amp is junk
______________________________________________________

I figured it would make sense that the amplifier is such low power - it should barely get warm.

Give it a try and let me know. He's going to look for TSBs - but said usually they aren't issued unless thousands of people are experiencing the same problem.

Give it a whirl, and reply with your findings.
Thanks!!
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.

He just replied - there is no SPECIFIC TSB - however gave me their audio troubleshooting one AU001-06.

Luckily, I was able to find it online for you - as we are not allowed personal contacts at J.A.

CLICK HERE

This is the procedure they use for troubleshooting in the shop, and thought it might be a helpful checklist for you. (if it isn't the one you have already used.)

If you have any questions about the steps - let me know.

Thanks!!

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
On another follow-up e-mail.. he indicated he searched invoices, and the service dept. has replaced 7 amplifiers so far this year (on various '06 models).

Hope you're getting along good troubleshooting.

Thanks!
bluextc89, Small Business Owner
Experience: MECP Certified, Car Audio Pro 17 Years. Shop owner 5 years.