Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing remote starters, car audio, amplifiers, components and lighting.

my sound system in my 1995 dodge ram is acting weird, the speakers

Customer Question

my sound system in my 1995 dodge ram is acting weird, the speakers will only play music "sometimes", like i will turn on my truck and the head unit turns on and everything but no sound, so i restart the truck and then i have sound. happens frequntly, is it an aftermarket head unit. sony xplod cdx-l550x
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Does your dodge ram have the premium amplifier and speaker upgrade from the factory, or was it a basic stock system when you replaced the Sony radio?

Also, just curious as to how you know it's not the speakers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i believe it is just the stock speakers and everything, and i know its not the speakers because they worked fine and everything with no problems before i put my subwoofers in. i put them in yesterday
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i believe its just the stock speakers, and i know its not the speakers because they worked fine and everything before i put my new amp and subwoofers in. i intalled them yesterday. and plus when i do get the sound to work it stays on until i turn my truck off, and they sound fine
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
So the deck was in there before the amp and subwoofer corect? If the speakers worked fine until this part of the instal,l, then it's very likely that an RCA cable to the amp (or speaker wire if you're using speaker level inputs), is shorted to ground, pinched or frayed as this would mute the signal coming from the deck when the condition occurs. Can you tell me more about how it's all c onnected, types of cables etc.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is 2 RCA cables running to the amp from the deck, and the remote amp line, from the deck to the amp. there is a 4 gauge power and ground cables for the amp and regular speaker wire running from the amp to the subs
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay, try disconnecting the RCA cables from the rear of the deck and see if the speakers play fine. We'll need to do some troubleshooting to find out where the issue is.