Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing remote starters, car audio, amplifiers, components and lighting.

stereo wont work but my fuses are good.... changed out speakers

Customer Question

stereo wont work but my fuses are good.... changed out speakers and the stereo worked but then suddenly shut off midway through a song. So i checked the fuses on car and stereo all was good, still didnt work... so i changed out the stereo and still nothing, any suggestions
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The reason the radio is shutting down is due to either one of the speakers being partially blown, or a pinched/shorting speaker wire in the vehicle. To test this, try disconnecting the speakers altogether, and run the unit for awhile. If it doesn't shut off, then one of the speakers or wires is causing it to shut down.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would that cause it to turn off and stay off even after shutting the truck off and restarting?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Probably not. Did you check the fuses only on the radio's power leads, or also on the truck itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure where the power leads are... i checked the fuse on the back of the unit and in my trucks fuse panel
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
The power leads are the red and yellow (or orange) wires coming off the back of the radio. Do you have access to a multimeter? When something doesn't power up, instead of chasing fuses it's easier to test the yellow and red wires for 12V+.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a pen tester... i could go check for power real quick... and if no power whats my options
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
If there's no power then you'd need to track down why there's no power. Is the unit professionally installed using a factory harness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes and yes... but there arent any loose wires.... what happened was i took out the factory speakers and put in new ones same size... on the front two 5 1/4'' i spliced in some tweeters, like i said earlier all was well till about mid song then the head unit shut off, dont know if that will help you or not

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Adding tweeters to a deck that's already running 4 speakers is not a good idea. It will drop the impedance load below the nominal 4 ohms the deck is designed to handle. o one possibility is that you blew the decks outputs, causing it to not turn back on. The other, is that one of the tweeter wires is pinched under the metal of the car or a screw, or that the tweeter's pos. or neg. leads are touching the vehicle chassis. Are you using butt connectors, or some other type of well-insulated connector for the tweeter wiring on both ends?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes heat shrink crimps
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
You can try a couple things. Check first to see if the unit has 12V+ on both power leads and ground on it's ground wire. Then if so, try disconnecting the tweeters and see if the unit powers up. Let me know what you find out.