Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ years

My Garmin nuvi 205 has lost its voice. What can I do to restore

My Garmin nuvi 205 has lost its voice. What can I do to restore it?

Hello & Welcome,

Do you have no sound at all (like beep tones), or is it that just the voice is gone?

Hi again,

Let me send along some information that may get you going again.

If you are not receiving any sound on your Nüvi 2xx (205 included) the first thing to check is that the sound is not muted. To ensure that your units sound is not muted please perform the following:

1. Turn the device on
  2. Press the Volume button on the ‘Where To?', ‘View Map' screen
  3. Ensure the Mute box is not ‘checked'

If the mute button is not ‘ticked', you will need to change the voice to ensure that the preset voice is not faulty:

1. Turn the device on
  2. Touch the Tool icon
  3. Touch Settings
  4. Touch Language
  5. Touch the language voice next to Voice
  6. Scroll through and select another appropriate voice

If changing the voice is not helping you will need to ensure that you are running the latest software which can be done by installing a program called WebUpdater. WebUpdater can be installed via the link below:

Once updated please allow the unit to reboot which will ensure the software successfully installs.

If after following all the above the final steps would be to perform a master reset:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers on. After 5-10 seconds you will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
  5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
  6. Touch Yes

The device will automatically reset. Please follow the on screen prompts on the nuvi and when completed place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.