Andy, Elec & Comp Pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My Garmin Nuvi 200 does not seem to take a charge. It wont

Customer Question

My Garmin Nuvi 200 does not seem to take a charge. It won't charge with the car charger. It will charge with the USB port on the computer but does not keep a charge long. What steps can I take to correct this?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

It is possible that the fuse in the car charger has blown or the car female plug has issue and so its not charging your device.

You can confirm this by connecting it to your computer using the USB cord and charing it for 6-7 hours (running computer) and then try to start it.

Also, try to plug in your gps to some other car (using current charger) and see if it works there. If it does, then you know that its your car's issue.

The USB cable will look like this :

graphic
View Full Image

Can you please try this and let me know

Now, if you confirm that your car charger as well as car plug is fine, then your garmin has hardware issues and needs repair. If in warranty Garmin will repair it for free. Else first take a quote from them as it might be cheaper to buy a new unit.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid for my work.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp Pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am o.k. with paying you for your answer. I believe from evrything I have looked into that it is proibably the fuse in the car charger that is gone, as I charge other devices with my car plug and they work. After I wrote to you, I located the Garmin instuction booklet, which I though was lost and it told me about the car charger fuse.

The only thing it doesn't say and you didn't say, is how to fix it - is this something I could buy at a Radio Shack?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, on most nuvi charger the fuse in either plugged in externally or you will have to open up the charger's screw and fuse will be located in it. Yes you should be able to get it at Radioshack or any electronic store.