Stephen G.
Stephen G., Financial Advisor
Experience:  Senior Tax Expert; CPA/PFS(retired)Personal Financial Planner; Small Business & Professional Mergers & Acquisitions
30050794

I will be selling my NYC coop, i will be selling my NYC

Customer Question

I will be selling my NYC coop
JA: I love the idea of making big money with investments, but there are so many things that could go wrong. The accountant will be able to help you. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i will be selling my NYC coop. It was a Mitchell lama 3 bedrm on roosevelt is. Bought for $225000
JA: Is there anything else important you think the accountant should know?
Customer: cont---- it is now free market with a 45 percent flip tax going back to the coop. Probable sale price settlement 1,350,000. I am single, Iver 40 years I have spent about $120,000 in improvements what is my capital gains rate
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 21 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Between, federal, NY & NY City, figure approximately 33% - 36% of your capital gain in total taxes. You will need to co-ordinate the timing of paying your state & city taxes to make sure you will be able to use the related federal itemized deduction without triggering the Alternate Minimum Tax.

You should engage a local CPA (or EA) to run projections once you determine when you are going to close on the sale (ie. what tax year). By timing the payment of your state & city income taxes properly, you should be able to save several thousand dollars in federal income taxes.