Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Have been providing Financial and Tax advice for 30 years.Concentration in Corporations, Estate, Income Tax and Business Planning
1929974

I am a US citizen. My wife and I owned a piece of ocean

Customer Question

I am a US citizen. My wife and I owned a piece of ocean front land in southern Baja, Mexico for 11 years and sold it for a modest profit. We never developed it. I paid capital gains in Mexico. The Notario and my Mexican realtor stated that because of the trade agreement with Mexico and the US I do NOT have to also pay capital gains tax in the US. My CPA is saying that the US will still calculate the gain and tax accordingly but I will get a credit for the amount I paid to Mexico. the amount he is telling me I still owe is thousands of dollars. Do I have to pay in both countries?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I can help here. My name's Lane

...

Yes, so sorry. As a US citizen you are taxed on all worldwide income.

...

The Foreign tax credit does help to alleviate the double taxation but IS limited by a factor that has to do with the proportion of your income that is US source income to that of the other country.

...

Please don't shoot the messenger here.

...

let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986.