Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Have been providing Financial and Tax advice for 30 years.Concentration in Corporations, Estate, Income Tax and Business Planning
1929974

How can i figure an estimate of what the capital gains tax

Customer Question

how can i figure an estimate of what the capital gains tax would be on the sale of my rental property
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

First (may be stating the obvious) capital gain = sales price - basis

...

And although basis in real property is essentiall what the investor has IN the property (purchase price plus improvements), for a rental property owner, the depreciation that was taken (of should have been) is a subtraction from basis (therefore increasing gain).

...

Making basis = purchase price + improvements - depreciation

...

What this also means is that, for landlords selling a rental, there are differing levels of capital gain rates ... (the non-depreciation part of the gain being taxed as any other long term capital gain).

...

0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets

15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets

20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket

...

But the depreciation recapture part of the gain is taxed at 25% (an everage ordinary income tax rate that's applied because depreciation was taken as a deduction against ordinary income).

...

Please let me know what quetions you may have from here

...

Lane

...

...

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

But again, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane