Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

My brother and I have owned a home jointly since 2009. It is

Customer Question

My brother and I have owned a home jointly since 2009. It is his principal residence. We have now sold the home and are sharing the sales amount equally. How do I calculate the capital gains which I must owe as it is not my primary residence?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, You would take the purchase price that you bought the house for in 2009. Next you would add any improvements. Finally you would add any selling costs to get the house ready for sale. You would take this total and divide it by half. This would be your cost basis. You would also include half of the selling costs such as commission and the additional closing costs.

Next you would divide the sales price by 1/2. Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspects of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Do you have access to the closing documents from the purchase in 2009?