R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in resolving tough tax cases
63817126

Now my question is if it is a capital gain owner( rent

Customer Question

now my question is if it is a capital gain for the owner( rent stabilized buyout in NY ) . then how am I taxed on my income from the buyout in ny as a capital gain what is the chart rate...based on amounts given .what would be rates of ordinary income in Florida
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I am a CPA, I would be happy to help you with this question. The buyout of your lease would be considered the sale of a contract. As a result, if held longer than 1 year this would receive long term capital gain treatment. For most people the long-term rates are 15%. If you are in the 10 or 15% bracket the tax rate is zero. If you are in the highest tax brackets the capital gain rate goes to 20%.