Stephen G.
Stephen G., Financial Advisor
Experience:  Senior Tax Expert; CPA/PFS(retired)Personal Financial Planner; Small Business & Professional Mergers & Acquisitions
30050794

I am self employed and my husband is in the military full

Customer Question

I am self employed and my husband is in the military full time.My business is a sole proprietorship and I am looking to file my first quarterly 1040-ES (not my annual tax). Do I file jointly for this? My husband does not have a part in the business and we have yet to file our joint income tax which will be done in the next few months.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Which year are you referring to? If you are talking about your first payment for 2016, that 1st estimated payment is due on April 15, 2016 (depending upon your state of residence, it's actually April 18th or 19th this year due to the way the holidays fall.

The payment due 1/15/2106 is actually the final (4th) estimated payment for 2015.

It doesn't matter whether you file a joint estimate or not in terms of whose business it is. I suggest however that you do file a joint estimate, even though you are only including your estimate of the tax you will owe on your income from your sole proprietorship, as when you file joint returns, everything falls under your husband's Social Security number, except when you file out your Schedule C and Schedule SE (self-employment tax) for your sole proprietorship, as on those schedules you use your own social security number.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional questions or can I clarify anything for you?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,