Alexander Haraczka
Alexander Haraczka,
Experience:  Supervisor at Cummings, Lamont & McNamee, PA
20618007

The term capital gains rate in a Grantor trust. Is it the

Customer Question

Customer: the long term capital gains rate in a Grantor trust. Is it the same as individuals? 15%
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The trust owns a piece of real estate that has appreciated in value and wants to sell and keep the proceeds in the trust. What capital gaions rate do they pay?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Capital Gains and Losses Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Alexander Haraczka replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon, my name is Alexander; I'm an EA, and am happy to assist you with this question.

The long-term capital gains rate for a grantor type trust is the same as they are for an individual (15%/20%/marginal tax rate depending on income circumstances). If the property has been held for at least one year and one day at the time of sale, it will be considered long-term and qualify for the preferential capital gains rates of 0% (if you're in the 10-15% tax bracket), 15% (if you're in the 25-35% tax brackets) or 20% (if you're in the 39.6% tax bracket).

Please let me know if any part of my response was unclear, and I will be happy to clarify. If you're satisfied you've received a prompt and professional response to your question, please be sure to rate me as soon as you're able. Thank you,