levr
levr, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Working for a large tax preparation service
870116

We have a pension plan employees in Oregon when they leave

Customer Question

We have a pension plan for our employees in Oregon when they leave they can either roll it over to another plan or take the full distribution which has to have 20% Federal out we had been giving them the option on State, but we have know heard we have to have a new BIN and have to take State tax out is that correct and what is the % I need to take out?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  levr replied 1 year ago.

Withholding of Oregon State income tax is required is the taxable portion of pension payments is more than $10 and made to residents of Oregon.

For Non-Periodic Payments - 8% of the taxable distribution is withheld for state tax purposes.
That amount will be reported on 1099R form and will be credited toward total tax liability on the individual tax return - so if withholding is more than total tax liability (as calculated on the tax return) - the taxpayer will claim a refund.

If funds are distributed to nonresidents of Oregon or are rolled over to another retirement account - there is no withholding.

Expert:  levr replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.