How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 263
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in resolving tough tax cases
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sell house ,000. Bought ,500. Commission 39,000. Mortgage

Customer Question

Sell house for 650,000. Bought for 78,500. Commission 39,000. Mortgage outstanding 143,000. What percentage to Feds? What percentage to State-California?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, first you will need to provide some additional information.

Confirm that you are talking about your primary residence & you have lived in the home for two out of the previous five years ending on the day of sale.

Are you married so that you can file a joint income tax return?

What is your approximate estimated taxable income (after deductions/exemptions) without considering the sale for the year that you either sold or will sell your home.

Related Capital Gains and Losses Questions