How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGassist.168 Your Own Question
CGassist.168, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 3444
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
CGassist.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have rental property in Richmond, VA. I m 73 living in NC.

Customer Question

I have rental property in Richmond, VA. I m 73 living in NC. Do I have to pay tax. If so how do I reduce the amount. Selling this year $125,000
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  CGassist.168 replied 1 year ago.

Q1: Do I have to pay tax

A1: If you incur a gain from the sale of the property, yes, you will be required to pay capital gains tax.

Refer to page 4 of the document of the following link (Non-residents section):


Q2: If so how do I reduce the amount.

A2: If you do incur a gain, you can reduce the amount of the gain by adding qualified improvement costs to the cost basis.

You will incur a gain if the cost basis, plus the cost of qualified improvements is less than the selling price.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Related Capital Gains and Losses Questions