Stephen G.
Stephen G., Financial Advisor
Experience:  Senior Tax Expert; CPA/PFS(retired)Personal Financial Planner; Small Business & Professional Mergers & Acquisitions
30050794

I have just sold my home that I have lived in 1/2

Customer Question

Hi, I have just sold my home that I have lived in for 5 1/2 years. I will have a profit of $88K. I am moving from California to Pennsylvania and plan to use most of the money as down payment on a home there. My question is, do I have to pay a capital gain tax on the money and can I use the money to make improvements on the home ie. adding a garage, pool etc. Can I use the money to pay off credit cards, car loans, etd.
Jen S.
Esparto Ca.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand. As long as you've owned and lived in the home as your principal residence for 2 out of the previous five years ending on the date of sale, you will qualify for the personal residence gain exclusion ($250.000 Single; $500,000 Married Filing Jointly).

There is no restriction as to what you do with the money.

Jen: Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much.

.