R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in resolving tough tax cases
63817126

How do I find the basis mutual fund that has been sold

Customer Question

How do I find the basis for a mutual fund that has been sold when the original 'Strong Funds' funds were purchased in June 16, 1992 and Dec. 12,1993. These funds were converted to 'Wells Fargo Funds' when the 'Strong fund' went out of business. Wells Fargo
records only go back to 1995. The funds were sold last year. Isn't there any place where I can get the purchase cost?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.Based on my research of various websites that I personally use which offer historical prices for stocks and mutual funds, I was not successful in obtaining a price for “Strong Funds” from 1992/1993.My best advice would be to contact the broker who sold the funds to determine if they can obtain this information. If not, your only alternative would be to use the basis from 1995, which is better than using a basis of zero.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.
You were offline when I posted my initial response, and I am now following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb