Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
13714381

Personal injury settlement Ontario hst is paid on legal

Customer Question

personal injury settlement Ontario hst is paid on legal fees, personal injury settlements in B.C. no HST or PST, would the HST portion be claimable in Ontario of the federal portion?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: Province of Ontario , Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: legal fees on settlement of personal injury , no claim filed for tax rebate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is my only question, whereby HST is a Federal Tax and PST is provincial, in Ontario the Tax is 13% (8%pst and 5%hst), can a claim be made for the HST Federal rebate?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry. I didn't realize this was a tax question. I am going to opt out and move this to the Canada Tax list.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hst and Pst are taxes!!!