Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
13714381

I have a private corporation, inactive except for an

Customer Question

I have a private corporation, inactive except for an investment account. I am the only shareholder. Over several years I have been withdrawing cash, putting it on the books as a shareholder loan. Can I now clear this multi-year loan by simply declaring a dividend in the loan amount? What would be the journal entry?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm happy to answer your question. I'm a CPA with 25 years experience. Yes, as the sole shareholder you may declare a dividend to yourself using the loan to pay yourself instead of cash. The journal entry would be Dr. Retained Earnings and Cr. Loan (instead of Cr. cash). I will keep the question open in case you have any follow on questions. Thank you in advance for a positive rating if you are satisfied with my answer. -Rick

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. I hope your answer is all that I need to do. But, what are my personal income tax considerations? Would I personally be deemed to have received a dividend? Does the corporation need to file any form for dividends paid? Does the company have to issue any form to CRA? What other implications are there?

I'm going to opt out and let another expert answer your other questions. Thank you for this opportunity to try and help. -Rick

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I was hoping for a more complete answer, but I guess I should have asked my question in broader terms. I'll try again. My situation is this. Over the last several years, I have withdrawn cash from my corporation as a shareholder loan. I have not repaid any of these withdrawals. They sit on the balance sheet as a current asset, "Due from directors/shareholders." What are all the steps I now have to take to clear this loan from the company books, satisfy my reporting requirements to CRA, and minimize/avoid personal income tax? What journal entries are required in the company books, and what forms if any to I have to file both personally and corporately? In short, how do I deal with tis problem?