Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

And it is about capital gains when selling a cottage

Customer Question

***** ***** and it is about capital gains when selling a cottage My husband and I sold our cottage this year. We owned it as tenants in common. I put the downpayment down and we paid the rest together. So with the dow npayment I own 64% of the cottage and he 36%. When doing income tax, I can't figure out how to split teh capital gain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do not know how to split the cost and capital gain between him and I in schedule 3 to reflect that I own 64% of it based on the fact that I out the downpayment
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for requesting me. The fact that you paid the down payment is what gives you a greater share of the cottage. So it is no longer considered. Rather, you would take the sale price less the purchase price less any capital improvements and that is the capital gain. Then you get 64% of the capital gain and he gets 36% of the capital gain and so then one half of your share goes into your income for tax purposes and one half of his share goes into his income for tax purposes.Does that help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My question is how do I show it in schedule 3. I guess I just put my 64% share of the cottage sale price, capital improvements and purchase price on mine and 36% of the same in his schedule 3?
Yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome.