Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
13714381

My name is ***** ***** Armstrong and I'm a Canadian. I have

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Armstrong and I'm a Canadian. I have a National Insurance Number Card from the British Department of Health and Social Security for my time working in Britain. Can I claim any pension amount now that I am 65 ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My card number is ***** A. I worked from December 1976 to March 1977 in London. It is such a short time that I may not be eligible but I thought I should try.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

The Consolidated Arrangements on Social Security between Canada and the United Kingdom came into force on December 1, 1995, and only cover residence in Canada being counted as periods of contribution to the UK National Insurance Scheme.

The Convention on Social Security between Canada and the United Kingdom (U.K.) came into force on April 1, 1998, and only allows Canadian employers to make contributions to CPP for work done in the UK.

Neither helps your case.

Another convention allows time spent in the UK to count as time spent in residence in Canada for the purpose of the 20-40 year residency requirement for OAS. However, that seems to require at least a year resident in the other country.

It doesn't look as if it will help you.