TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  More than 20 years tax expertise
14155347

Living overseas. I earn a small amount through contracts

Customer Question

I am Canad***** *****ving overseas. I earn a small amount through contracts with a Canadian business. Do I have to file a return and does it matter how much I earn in a year through these contracts (it's low)?
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

It depends on your resident status.

If you are working temporarily outside Canada, vacationing outside Canada, commuting (going back and forth daily or weekly) from Canada to your place of work in the United States, or teaching or attending school in another country, and you maintain residential ties with Canada, you are a resident and you still pay tax in Canada which means you have to file.

If you left Canada and established a permanent home in another country and you severed your residential ties with Canada and ceased to be a resident of Canada in the tax year, then no return is needed and no Canada tax to pay on your income.

If you did not have residential ties with Canada and you lived outside Canada throughout the year then you are not required tot file a Canada return.