How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen residing in Nova Scotia Canada years now.

Customer Question

I am a US citizen residing in Nova Scotia Canada for two years now. I have three children ages 12, 10 and 5 months. My two oldest children are US citizens, my 5 month old is a triple citizen by birth in Canada and as I am a US citizen, and my spouse is a German citizen. My two oldest children and I were granted permanent residency back in August. My question is am I legally allowed to receive tax credits from both the US and Canada? For example, since moving to Nova Scotia I have filed both my US federal and Canadian taxes. Since moving to Nova Scotia, I am unemployed with no income and I claim "zero" status on both US and Canadian taxes. I am married and again for the past two years filed "Married filing separately"on my US federal taxes and claim my two oldest children to receive a tax credit of $2000 for both children. For the past two years I filed a "zero" return for my Canadian taxes. My spouse claims everyone on his Canadian taxes and receives child tax benefits (CCTB) and universal child care tax for our children. Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I can only answer about the law in Canada but not the US.

Would you like for me to go ahead or move this to the US list?