Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
13714381

I am a US citizen residing in Nova Scotia Canada years now.

Customer Question

I am a US citizen residing in Nova Scotia Canada for two years now. I have three children ages 12, 10 and 5 months. My two oldest children are US citizens, my 5 month old is a triple citizen by birth in Canada and as I am a US citizen, and my spouse is a German citizen. My two oldest children and I were granted permanent residency back in August. My question is am I legally allowed to receive tax credits from both the US and Canada? For example, since moving to Nova Scotia I have filed both my US federal and Canadian taxes. Since moving to Nova Scotia, I am unemployed with no income and I claim "zero" status on both US and Canadian taxes. I am married and again for the past two years filed "Married filing separately"on my US federal taxes and claim my two oldest children to receive a tax credit of $2000 for both children. For the past two years I filed a "zero" return for my Canadian taxes. My spouse claims everyone on his Canadian taxes and receives child tax benefits (CCTB) and universal child care tax for our children. Is this legal?
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I can only answer about the law in Canada but not the US.

Would you like for me to go ahead or move this to the US list?