Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I want to Know my tax eligibility in Canada holder May 2014

Customer Question

Hi
I want to Know my tax eligibility in Canada
I am PR holder May 2014 but I left Canada within the same month till now
Do I have to pay income taxes for my earning outside Canada?
I have home in the other country staying with part of my family
Other part of my family still live in Canada (as studying dependent), but I do not have home in Canada. They rent flats.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This is not about legal residence but about actual residence.

If you've not yet taken up residence in Canada you don't have to pay taxes in Canada yet.

Once you take up residence in Canada you will start to have to file tax returns as a resident and then income from all sources will be reported. If you start to live outside of Canada then you will have to show that you have severed all ties with Canada but for now you have not yet taken up residence and so don't need to prove these ties were severed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I traveled outside Canada but still my 2 child study their (its a tie), I am outside since 15 month and have no home in canada (just bank acc.)
so I will not file anything for this period. am I right
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Your children are a tie and you could live with them of course so when you do take up residency you will likely have to pay taxes even if you don't live in Canada for long but now it is likely you don't have to as you've not yet yourself moved to Canada.

But the law is not completely clear in this area and you really should retain your own accountant in the city where your kids are to discuss your personal details and get an opinion rather than just relying on general legal information which is all I can provide online.