TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  More than 20 years tax expertise
14155347

I'm a Cdn citizen working and living in Kenya 10 years. When

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a Cdn citizen working and living in Kenya 10 years. When I left Canada I owed money (~$2500). I tried a few times to file but it was always complicated. So I buried it all in the back of my mind, but now I want to deal with it. How should I proceed?
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Your post is a little confusing as you say you left and owe but then you say you tried to file a few times.

If you filed and just did not pay then you can do that now by following the link below
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/mkpymnt-eng.html

If you truly never filed then you need to do that first. Then you can file a disclosure statement. The disclosure is made on form RC199. If CRA accepts your voluntary disclosure, you may only be charged the taxes owed plus the interest, with no penalties.