MyVirtualCPA, Accountant
Experience:  Helping people find jobs

Can my Cousin Give me Car as a Gift. He lives in California

Can my Cousin Give me Car as a Gift. He lives in California and I am in Canada (Ontario)?
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

Your cousin can give you a car, that's completely acceptable. Your cousin would fill out a form 709 for the IRS if the fair market value of the car is over $14,000. If it's less than $14,000 there's no reporting requirement. Your cousin will owe no gift tax because you have a lifetime exclusion of up to $5 million in gifts.

Please let me know if you need anything else additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer