Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Hello. I did not file personal income tax returns for 4 years.

Hello. I did not file personal income tax returns for 4 years. I was working in Bermuda and considered myself a non resident of Canada. I did not have the 3 major ties to Canada. Started working in Canada in May of 2012. CRA must of got wind of this and sent me a letter to file for 2011. Should I retain a tax lawyer? Thank you.
Yes you should.

If you can prove you were nmot a resident of Canada and had severed all ties to Canada until your return you will likely be OK but if they go after 2011 they will soon go after you for the past years as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Debra for your response. I am located in Ottawa and have looked at contacting DioGuardi tax lawyer or Barrett tax lawyer. I'll have to pay a retainer fee for sure.

Is there a preference between these two firms?

I read that a fee can be over 2 thousand.

I am not in Ottawa and don't know either firm.

But, you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is: