Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a

Customer Question

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a transitional-living business at the location. This tenant has 1 year remaining on a 2 year lease. I was recently informed that this tenant wishes to end her business and thereby the lease. She proposed a friend to "take over the lease" or some other proposition which has not been specified, other than this party wants to continue the same type of operations. I told my tenant that because I am leaving the country in a couple of weeks and then again in the next month, I cannot address this question until at least October. I also mentioned that her "proposal" was unsubstantial, as I have no qualifying information on this other party to begin to address her needs. Today, I was threatened with legal action unless I comply with her requests. How do I address this situation?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

What does the lease say about the right to assign it or to sub-let the space?

Expert:  Debra replied 10 days ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!