Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

In the middle of a divorce; my ex-wife just started building

Customer Question

In the middle of a divorce; my ex-wife just started building a new luxury vacation property but she owes me 400,000 of matrimonial debt - owed immediately to the provincial government
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 days ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 days ago.

I am not quite sure of the facts just yet.

Please let me know your province and the basic facts.

Then please let me know your specific question.

Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Alberta
I am a physician and my soon-to-be ex wife and I mutually owe around 800,000 back to the government and it is due in thenext few weeks. I am wondering about putting a lien on a luxury vacation property that she is building [worth about 1.6 million]
Expert:  Debra replied 12 days ago.

You cannot put a lien on the property unless you get a court order.

If this property is being built using matrimonial property and you start a lawsuit you could obtain and register a certificate of pending litigation on the title but that doesn't freeze the title. It is just a caution that tells others there is a potential lawsuit about the property.

But to out a lien on it to secure an interest you would need a court order.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?