Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother and I recently visited an Estate Attorney's office

Customer Question

My mother and I recently visited an Estate Attorney's office here in Winnipeg and are questioning the wording within both the bill for services rendered and the letter informing us of certification once payment is received. We were given a quote verbally and the balance is completely different from what the bill states. How do we proceed in having this rectified?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Canada, province of Manitoba
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do believe the application for Letter of Administrator has been filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so...
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Have you asked the lawyer why the bill is higher than what was quoted to you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
When I spoke with her last week, she had mentioned that the price she gave us versus the quote provided by another person within the office was the standard rate
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

So why does she say she is charging more now?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
For the cost of filing my brother's 2015 and 2016 income tax returns which were previously filed by him, the postage and handling and courier cost for the application, applying for the CPP death Benefits which my mother is not eligible for as the funeral costs were covered by EIA (Social Assistance) and correspondence to his bank
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

But why is the charge more than she first said she would be charging for?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Over and above our request for assistance in helping my mom fill out the application form, that's all she wanted. We did not hand over any documentation to warrant her actions in proceeding with the above mentioned services
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

So she did more work than you hired her for and it was not needed or consented to and then she billed for it?

Is that it?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

I suggest that you send the lawyer a letter. In the letter state that you were shocked to receive the invoice and that she did additional work that was not needed, not consented to and that she had no right to do.

Tell her that you will not pay her for work that she was not retained to do and especially when it was not needed and that you are happy to have a court decide.

Tell her that you will pay what is owing when you get a revised invoice that sets out what is owing based on what she was retained to do and also written confirmation that that is a full and final bill and that nothing else is owing.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you! I will definitely keep you informed :)
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

Please do. The post will not lock after you rate me so for sure come back and keep me posted.

I hope you don't end up thinking badly of all lawyers but this is just why we have such a bad reputation.

Enjoy your weekend.