Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We are totally confused about calculating our possible

We are totally confused about calculating our possible Canada OAS - GIS benefits ? Trying to determine what our total income benefit for us as a married couple. Can you help ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Saskatchewan, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well my wife is already receiving both CPP and OAS and I am receiving CPP and will receive OAS in October
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

So are you asking what you will get for OAS and whether you are entitled to GIS?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Debra, Yes my apologies I also got confused on relating my question. Anyway here are the details to our situation which it seems we can not get a complete answer.
We are a Canadian born married couple of almost 35 years, Sadly we are in that 70 percentile of Babyboomers with NO pensions outside of CPP and OAS.
My wife is 70 and due to health problems took her CPP early and so currently her CPP is $ 473.72 and her OAS is $ 578.53 for a Total of $ 1,052.25
Myself I am 6 years younger but will be 65 on this Sept 26th and have applied for OAS which I am to receive in October and is supposed to be $ 578.53 a month.
Now, I did take my CPP early (3 years ago) and currently receiving $ 740.30 per month.
Therefore, as of this October 2017 it appears that my Total combined CPP and OAS will be $ 1,318.83
AND our combined Total Benefits for both us will Total $ 2,371.08 per month = $ 28,452.96 annually.
NOW, apparently to calculate OAS - GIS benefit you don't include OAS - so our both combined income from just our CPP is $ 1,214.02 per month = $ 14,568.24 annually.
Here are our QUESTIONS as below:
(1) Based upon our personal situation - how do we calculate our potential GIS benefit ? Thus how much will we qualify for ?
- Thus amount of GIS per month ?
(2) What will be our Total income benefit per month (and annually) with ADDING our OAS in plus then our CPP ?
- It appears that the GIS is supposed to essentially provide a "top-up" to bring us to a base minimum income of ???
(3) It appears that we should APPLY for GIS regardless, even though I (Rick) still plan to work either part-time or even full-time as given my own health I am not sure just how long I can remain working;
(4) Now, if I secure full-time employment for say 1 to 2 years at say $ 50,000 per year, how will this then "affect" our GIS ?
- simply what is my maximum income before effecting our GIS ?
- as we understand once we apply for GIS then it is reviewed annually via our previous year income tax, but also apparently it can be adjusted quicker IF you were working and then retire and have an immediate income drop;
Seems everyone we talk to, comes up with a different number for GIS and also can't answer about collecting GIS and still working.
So this is our situation as however, we wish to stay in our modest home with yes still a large mortgage SO I'll still need to work at least part-time or even full-time as I'll be totally bored being a workaholic but with health problems as I am also insulin diabetic and have high blood pressure plus onset of arthritis.
As well we have credit card debt that if we can pay off in 2 years then depending upon the total combined CPP, OAS and GIS available then we "may be able" to stay in our home with just these combined benefits.
Kindly advise ?
Trust you have enough info ?
Thanks, Rick

Based on the income of $14,568 for the two of you not counting the OAS, you will each be able to get $179.23 per month for GIS.

The combined OAS and GIS for each of you will be $757.76.

There is no harm in applying even if you find out your are not eligible.

The maximum combined income is $23,183.99

Does that fully answer your questions?

If you all OAS they will give you all the information you will need as well so you can do that to confirm.

The number to call is :

1-***-***-****

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?