Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If i ignore a canipre copyright infringement notice, how

Customer Question

if i ignore a canipre copyright infringement notice, how many times will they keep sending notices, and i have heard with each additional notice, the settlement cost increases
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: what is that?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i opened the email, and clicked on the resolve link, to see that they want 198.00 to cease any further action, but in order to carry out the payment through monaris, i need ti fill out name address email information, as well as payment method, through interac debit, or credit card
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i want to know if its possible to ignore this, or will notices keep being sent and at increasing settlement amounts, or should i just pay
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

Did you receive the email through your Internet service provider?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
cogeco
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

These are email that people are getting all over the country. But the bot***** *****ne is that the copyright holder does not have your contact information or identity and Cogeco cannot give it out unless they are under a court order.

And there is virtually no likelihood that the copyright holder is going to seek a court order in a case like this.

So what most people do is ignore the emails and that is all.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
what i was wanting to know is from what others have said with this company, canipre, they will not stop the notices...and the settlement demand increases, so you are saying just keep ignoring them all? as opposed to paying the 198.00?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

I cannot tell you what to do.

But in my experience the emails stop in a while.

I personally would not pay and don't know anyone that would.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
what you have told me is information i already read online...just ignore it, they cant identify me and likely wont pursue further action, but i need to know if i pay it, will the continued notices cease?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 days ago.

If you pay what they are asking for then they will stop asking for what you paid for. But if you download other works they hold the copyright to not only will then continue sending them when discovered but then they will have your identity.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?