Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Ound and filed in .C in October 16thI applied for a divorce

Customer Question

ound and filed in B.C in October 16thI applied for a divorce in Edmonton in August 15th 1916 My husband then turned around and filed in Penticton, B.C. In October 16th. I have never been served with papers, he has Where is the court to be held
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mine is in Alberta fied in August and my husband was served He then filed in British Columbia, I have not been served
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes and he has already go court orders for payments and been charged by the courts for $300.00 for not replying.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just want to know where I stand as I do not want to have it in B.C.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 days ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 days ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 days ago.

If you live in Alberta and started your application first then it goes ahead in Alberta.

The BC court made a mistake allowing him to start the application there if he even did. They do a country wide search before allowing anyone to issue a divorce application.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?