Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My wife and myself got our permanent residency application

Customer Question

My wife and myself got our permanent residency application approved. I found out that my daughter, who is 21 years old and a full time university student was not included in the application. I am having trouble finding information on the best way to file a permanent residency application for my daughter. (We are all Mexican citizens)
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ON
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I only filed a study permit extension for her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

But the law has changed and you cannot sponsor a child over 19 unless the child is disabled and dependent on you.

So she cannot be part of your application nor can you sponsor her.

She would have to apply on her on.

If she is studying in Canada once she graduates she can get a post-graduate work permit. After working for the requisite time she could apply for PR status on her own under the Canada Experience Class.

Here is a link to the information you will need:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?