Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I purchased a home with a large addition and recently found

Customer Question

I purchased a home with a large addition and recently found out that there was never a permit pulled for it and no inspections were completed, Should my lawyer have flagged this to me.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ONtario canda
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: by who to who
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. There is a sewage smell in the basement addtion whenevere there is a heavy rain and the previous owner knew this and did not disclose it. We asked if there were any issue with flooding and he said no.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

It seems there are two questions here.

One is about the lawyer and one is about the potential liability of the previous owner. Which one would you like for me to address on this post?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

This was not the duty of the real estate lawyer.

The lawyer's obligation is to check the title to ensure it is clear, review all the transfer documents to be sure that you are getting the land transferred properly and to ensure you are paying the correct amount at the correct time.

The lawyer would never check for building permits unless you hired the lawyer to do this as well.

And the lawyer would not necessarily even have any knowledge about a renovation.

Does that answer this question fully?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?