Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Type your tried to enter Vancouver, BC to visit on January

Customer Question

Type your Larry tried to enter Vancouver, BC to visit on January 05, 2017, but was denied entry. The border patrol agents claimed that he has a long criminal history and suffers from mental illness. Both of these things are absolutely false. They also claimed that he has had issues with the law in most states when he has never lived or been in or through most states. They did not provide proof of their claims when asked. Larry has never been to or tried to enter Canada before. The agents asked him all type of questions there were silly and too personal. Larry has visited Central and South America and the UK in the past and did not have any issues. He works for DHL which does a federal background check, credit check, and hair-follicle drug screen. He got hired in 2014 after passing all of these tests. He does not understand how the border patrol agents came up with its findings. Can border patrol agents see one's medical history? They did not ask him about my medical history. He does not have and has never had any major medical issues. He has never been hospitalized and on any long-term medical treatment. If he has a criminal history, he would not have been able to work for the company he his currently with. Could be that he encountered bad border patrol agents? What are the allowable conditions and requirements for entry into Canada? He may visit Niagara Falls and Ontario in June 2017. What would prevent him from having issues at hat the point of entry into Canada next time?
Submitted: 5 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Did they simply turn him away and that is all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They searched me and my vehicle.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

But what I meant was did they say you cannot enter this time or did they say you cannot enter for some time or what you need to do first?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They told me that I cannot enter at this time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was not told what I needed to do. They just said that I could not enter Canada due to criminal history and medical problems. I have neither of these issues.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

So you will for sure have a problem at the border in June. There is no doubt about it as your file will be redflagged.

So what you should do is have a criminal record search done on yourself well before hand and bring the result of the search with you to the border.

They clearly had the wrong person's record that they have linked with your name somehow.

And if the record search that you do does show up something you will need to have a lawyer assist you in getting that resolved back home.

You should also bring a letter from your doctor that sets out that you are healthy and never suffered from the issues that they said you did.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The agents did not accept what I said and refused to let me see the records they found. All they went by was my NAME and DATE OF BIRTH. I do not have an assigned physician. I have not been to see a physician in over twenty-one years. I have not had or found the need to go to one. Every illness that I have encountered over the past twenty-one years has been treated with over-the-counter remedies. It is believed that because I am a black Jamaica, they believed that I had medical issues. What sources can I use to do a background check on myself? Do I have to go through a lawyer or police department to get my background report or can I get it on my own?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and so I don't know how that record search is done in the US.

In Canada we do this through our local police station so I would start there. There should not be any need for a lawyer.

I am saddened to hear that this happened to you. But I can only assume that you share the name and birth date of someone who is the person they believe you are.

I am going to be as it is close to 4 am here but will answer back again in the morning if you still need me.

Take good care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will order or obtain a copy of my background report shortly. The next time I try to enter Canada, I will try from a different entry point. The trip in June may be by air or tour bus. I have a valid US driver license and passport. How is the process of entry conducted whenever one flies into Canada or travel by Greyhound or Brulington Trailways? If travelling to Anchorage Alaska (a US state) by Arrow Trailways, will I have to go through background and medical screening, even if passing through Canada in route to Alaska.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I think you just had a terrible luck.

I believe they are more strict when you are flying but who knows these days?

If you have all the documentation you can get, at least about the criminal record, you should be OK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I obtained my background report from Lexis Nexis and backgroundchecks.com ando they revealed nothing negative.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was told that getting into Canada from other countries is now severely difficult and picky and is harder than getting into other countries. I guess that this is one of the reasons why tourism in Canada is lower ever and it is no longer a top destination and place to want to live and visit.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

You need to get a police check and from your local police, state police or whomever is in charge in your country.

Going online will never get a proper check as this information is not at all available through anyone else.

I believe that will work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just received my background report from my local law enforcement agency here in Seattle and it does not reflect any criminal history.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Canadian border officials are a bunch of racists and bigots.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Besides Canada, I can visit almost any other country I want. At least all other countries around the world are most attractive, appealing, and accepting of people from other countries.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I, like many other people, are going to give Canada a BAD NAME and REPUTATION. It deserves it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I applied for school at St. Georges University in the UK in October 2016. It does background checks on applicants. I passed it! Nothing negative came up.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Then it was hopefully just a mistake,

But I am not sure why you keep messaging me with these comments. You do remember that I am trying to help right? I didn't turn you away at the border. I didn't do a thing to merit a long string of negative comments.

I sure hope you are not shooting the messenger here.

I hope you decide to rate me positively so that my stats aren't harmed and because I cannot afford to work for free.

Good luck.