Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am planning to divorce my husband but I don't know how to

Customer Question

I am planning to divorce my husband but I don't know how to proceed.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: british Columbia, canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what info the lawyer would like me to provide
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you only asking about the actual divorce or are there assets or issues relating to support?

Are there any children?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are assets involve and we have one child

Your best first step is to consult with a family lawyer face to face.

The lawyer will get you to fill out financial statements, hear the issues, find out what you want to see happen with respect to custody and access etc and then will send a letter to your spouse telling him that you hope to resolve this amicably and to take the letter to a lawyer.

Then the lawyers can try and negotiate a settlement. If that doesn't work you can consider mediation, arbitration and as a last resort court.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?