Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Morning. My family is dealing with the tragedy of loosing my

Customer Question

Morning. My family is dealing with the tragedy of loosing my Brother in a highway accident on December 30/16. Being the long weekend we haven't been able to get any legal advice as to what we can or can NOT do with my brothers property. A call has been placed into a lawyers office for tomorrow. The big problem is the following. My brothers accident happened in British Columbia. We are all in Alberta. My brother was staying in his TRAVEL TRAILER in BC. He has a pick up truck and a motorcycle there as well. We have already changed the locks on his trailer and storage shed. The family has no idea about his banking,insurance , will, phone etc. We are assuming all documents are in his trailer. What we need to know is do we have the legal right to enter his property and either move it home or put into storage? We need to cancel banking etc but we don't have any idea what he had.
Thank you,
Rainy Deis
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. It sounds like it was sudden and unexpected, very tragic indeed. My sympathies.

You're asking very practical questions, but it's putting the cart before the horse. Let's start at the beginning.

Was he married? Commonlaw? Children?

Is there a will to your knowledge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for a quick response. Our brother was not married. Divorced years ago. Has 2 grown childten. We have no idea if he had a will, or if he had anything written down. We would need to go to his trailer to see.

What do his children say about the issue of funeral arrangements and a will?

Was he on good terms with his ex wife?