Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have been living common law in the province of

Customer Question

I have been living common law in the province of newfoundland for 4 years and have a house and truck in both our names , i also have proof that i have paid every mortgage payment and truck payment fully myself and my spouse never paid a cent , is she entitled to 50% if we sell the house?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

It is not at all likely she will be entitled to 50% of the house.

After such a short relationship the court will consider contributions in determining what each of you are entitled to as as she didn't contribute to the value of the house she won't get the same interest you would get. The same would hold true for the truck. If the relationship was longer then my answer would be different.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.v

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?