Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

When and how much can a landlord raise the rent in the

Customer Question

When and how much can a landlord raise the rent in the province of BC? Can they raise the rent for only one suite in the building? My boyfriend and I moved into the suite at the start of this month. We heard about the place through a friend that wanted to move out and we were told that the rent was $900 with heat included. When I spoke to the landlord on the phone he told me he wants to raise the rent a few hundred dollars but was not sure how much. He then told me to discuss it with my boyfriend and figure out how much we would be able to afford. He said if I contacted him before the end of the day with our response he would hold off on putting up a for rent sign. I called him back and said we could afford up to $1100 thinking this would be negotiable when we met with him. He agreed to give us the place and would like to meet with us as soon as possible. We had set a day to meet but he had been too busy at the time but said that the place was ours and that he was not seeking any other tenants. When I called him a second time on the day we were suppose to meet with him he said he had another person interested and that he would let me know after meeting with them whether or not the place was ours. He called me back and told me that this person could not afford the rent and that it was for sure promised to us. When we finally met with him we asked about the price of rent and he said it was $1100 and then told us he had people willing to offer more so we were not in a position to negotiate the price like we had thought before. We live in Nelson BC and it is very difficult to find a rental and this was the only option we had so we agreed to $1100 a month. Not being aware of what a landlord is legally allowed to do and the appropriate procedures they must follow we agreed to the rent increase. After hearing from other people and doing some research we realized he shouldn't be able to increase the rent by that much. We went ahead and moved in on November 2nd, we have yet to sign a tenancy agreement although he dropped one off but it is not properly filled out or signed by my boyfriend and I. We payed him $1100 for first months rent plus half that for damage deposit (in total $1650.00). We have been meaning to get this issue sorted out before next month and wanted to contact the Residential Tenancy Branch but our work schedules have conflicted with their business hours, as it is close to the end of the month I thought I would seek advice online. Thank you in advance.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

What was the last tenant paying?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
$900 is what the last tenant payed