Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had a company call me years ago about an outstanding loan.

I had a company call me years ago about an outstanding loan. I've never had a loan at this time and I asked them to send me paperwork with my signature on it and the couldn't. I just now received another call from someone new regarding this and I again asked for the paperwork as proof as he wash threatening to garnish my wages. What do I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Where?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so thank you

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

They are bluffing.

First, it is too late to sue you.

They had to sue you within 2 years of your loan going into default. They didn't.

They cannot garnish wages without a judgment.

Tell them not to call again and that all communications must be in writing. They know they have to listen to that or they run the risk of losing their licence.

And then just ignore them.

What they want is to trick you into paying a small amount of money to them. That would restart the limitation period and then they could sue you. Acknowledging the debt in writing would do that as well. So don't be scared or tricked by them.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is very helpful thank you

I am glad to hear it.

Please rate me now. I didn't get paid yet and I helped you quite a while ago. In fact I helped on November 23 and so I should have been paid then The site will not release my portion of what you paid them until you rate me.

Thanks