Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Email confidentiality have any basis or teeth, if sent

Customer Question

Email confidentiality have any basis or teeth, if sent without malice?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Please set out the basic facts so that I can provide you with a more meaningful answer.

I really cannot answer in a vacuum for this type of question.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sent out emails to labour lawyers as I has no inter"HR" work support to address the bullying, harassment and intimidation email from my CEO. I suspect that one of these emails had a notice on the bottom. No intent to do harm to the company by divulging trade secrets if you will.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure what you mean.

Did you email lawyers to get some help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but it may have gone to others by accede to.?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

So you emailed a few lawyers hoping you could see one to retain.

And you think that one of the emails was cc'd to someone else by mistake?

If so who? The employer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
mistake. C-COM
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

So the employer is saying by emailing a lawyer you were revealing trade secrets?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Labour lawerers, Labour MPP, Other Complainants no intent to do harm at all, other than to have some one protected me. The day after,, I was terminated with no paperwork, and the reason given was because the CEO wanted it so.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Seeking legal assistance is certainly not breaching any agreement about keeping trade secrets confidential.

But seeing these emails would clearly be grounds for dismissal. You are complaining all over the place so it is not likely that any court would say the employer should not have dismissed you for cause.

They could not sue you successfully for breaching the confidentiality agreement though.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Seems I sent out an email to suppliers saying I had been terminated, however it had some pricing but never intented to go out. Only the second which reads likse this:To My Friends and Most Respected Partners;As you may, or may not be aware, I was terminated yesterday for yet unknown reasons (no paperwork provided).I just wanted to let you know that I did all I could to build our relationships for mutual benefit. However, as most of you are aware, some things are outside of our control (unfortunately).I will miss all of our interactions and personal relationships.Thomas
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

That was not a great idea.

That could be considered to be a breach of confidentiality and also you were not permitted to use their contact information as you obtained that during the course of your employment. It may even be considered to be solicitation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
forgot to mention to tell you that a non employee was informed of my termination, who has no direct involvement with COM, other than being complainant,
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Did you see my last post to you? This is really not great.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was informing my friends and suppliers?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

You were most assuredly not permitted to contact suppliers.

You could of course tell your friends not connected through the employer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Makes no sense, are you a student?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am a senior lawyer. I have been a lawyer since 1985.

The law is clear. You cannot contact customers, clients, suppliers etc when you are dismissed of quit.

The contact information you received is considered to be confidential information you received by reason of your employment and you are prohibited from using it.

I am sorry you don't like my answer but I can assure you that is is correct.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Depends on the purpose of the conversation. End of transmission
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

That is not at all true and you should not rely on that to assist you if they sue you.

It is not what you said in your email. It is that you used their information to contact their suppliers.

What you said or what you meant to accomplish is not the issue or at least is not the only issue.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I don't work for your employer and if I ever would represent anyone in an employment case it would without doubt be the employee. I have no reason to give you an answer that is on the side of the employer.

My intention is to provide an accurate answer only.

It sounds like you want to argue with me. But I don't need to do that with you. I am just giving you the best answer you can get and nothing more.

I hope you understand that.

To tell you what you want to hear will hurt you in this case.

And why would you post a question if you are sure you no more than a lawyer?

So before you get further hurt please review what I said calmly and try and see what I am saying and why.