Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I received a phone call from a law office asking for my

Customer Question

I received a phone call from a law office asking for my address so they could send me papers (summons i think) for a lawsuit . A person was hurt during a rec league hockey game and wants to sue me for damages they received. The incident happened Nov.29th,2014 almost 2 years ago which is also the expiry under the statute of limitations for such a lawsuit. I played no part in the injury but i'm scared that the injured party may have teammates talked into saying otherwise. What should I do? Should I contact the law office and accept the summons?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: It's in Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know. The injured party lost footing in a rough patch of ice and fell awkwardly into the boards. I happened to be the player chasing the play at the time and was closest to her. I did nothing to make the player fall. In regards ***** ***** I have no doubt she was injured and has medical records to show it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As soon as she went into the boards I stopped and started asking if she was ok. One of her teammates skated up behind me & smashed me in the back of my helmet with his stick and proceeded to hit me. That player and myself were suspended 3 games for roughing against each other. There was never a penalty called for the incident where the girl went into the boards. The league reviewed the incident and found there was no contact made between me and the injured player. Almost 2 years later she's coming after me for damages.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do I continue to correspond with you thru this window or should I minimize it?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You should not avoid service.

That would not be useful. It will not help you in any way at all.

The limitation period is met as soon as the claim is issued.

If you avoid service they will get an order to serve you in another way other than personal service. It is not going to help.

When you get the claim then you will know what is going on and whether you need a lawyer or not.

You can post on this site again and I can always assist you again too.

If that is what you need be sure to put my name into the question so I am the one that will continue with you.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?