Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a canadian citizen however 8 years ago when I moved

Customer Question

Hi. I am a canadian citizen however 8 years ago when I moved from Massachusetts to Los Angeles I lost my passport. I ave no proof that I am a Canadian citizen but since no never renounced my citizenship, there must be some record and I must be able to get a new passport and a new social insurance number - I do have one but again, the card was lost with my passport. Can you assist me in getting a new passport and resisting my social insurance card?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Do you have other ID such as your birth certificate, a driver's licence with a photo etc?

Do you know your SIN? If not do you have old Income Tax Returns?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have my American passport as I have dual citizenship. I have my father's canadian passport as he is a Canadian. I was given my citizen ship under the delayed registration of birth abroad policy maybe 15 years ago. I don't have any canadian pay stubs and I dont recall my social insurance number.

But you must have filed tax returns if you work in Canada. Do you have them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have never worked in Canada

OK

So you cannot get another SIN. That is not how it works. An cards are not used any more.

You will have to prove your ID and then you will be advises what your SIN is.

In terms of the passport you will need to apply CIC for another copy of your proof of citizenship. Once you get that you can then apply for a passport from the US.

For the SIN:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/sin/before_applying.page

You ask for confirmation of the SIN and explain that the letter or card (which ever you had) was lost.

For the proof of citizenship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

You apply for a citizenship certificate. There are no more cards.

To apply for the passport from the US:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/new/apply-how.asp

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What will you charge me to handle all of this for me?

I cannot do it for you. I am not permitted to have direct contact with the customers.

But you really, honestly, don't need a lawyer to do this for you.

It is just filling out a few forms and providing copies of photo ID.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?