Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Pro bono lawyer on defamation of character by a Mayor?

Customer Question

JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is 1, 111 people who signed a petition
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 22 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you posting to get legal information or to find a pro bono lawyer?

I can provide you with legal information but will need to know more of the facts and also what your specific question is.

But if you are looking for a pro bono lawyer the lawyers on this site cannot act for you nor can we make specific referrals so I could only suggest ways on finding a lawyer but that would be all.

Thanks

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Well we want to file a Class Action Suit for slander and defamation of character but don't have a lot of money for a lawyer

So all these people who signed want to sue the mayor?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
or at least a majority
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
But we would need a pro bono LAWYER as we don't have the funds to retain one

OK

That makes sense.

But if each person paid $100 that would cover a lot of legal fees.

What I suggest for now is you see consult with a few different lawyers and that you can do for free.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Many of you can do this so you will get a number of names and a core group should start the consultation process.

This could be excellent for a lawyer's reputation so if you have a strong case I can see a lawyer agreeing to do this pro bono.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.