Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

If my husband moves out to contemplate If my husband moves

Customer Question

If my husband moves out to contemplate If my husband moves out to contemplate his life am I allowed to change the locks on our house
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: winnipeg manitoba
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He has been to lawyer regarding threats I made in the heat of moment, now I have been asked not to locate or try to get in Co the
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has been to a lawyer that stated I made threats in the heat of the momental and not to try and contact him
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Your husband has left the home, then?

Who is on title to the home?

You're legally married?

Why would you want to change the locks?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We are married 28 years
And we both own our home but he has come to remove some possessions

That was the matrimonial home, and since you're both on title he's free to come and go as he pleases just as you are.

Technically, you shouldn't change the locks. That would deny him access to his own property and you could be subject to a criminal charge of mischief. I hardly ever see those charges laid, but if you change the locks that could be used to make you look bad if this gets to court.

You need a lawyer of your own asap, I hope you're getting one to help sort this out.

Does that make sense? Anything else to discuss before I ask you to rate the service?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you

If there's more to discuss on this topic, I'm here for your question or comment. If we're finished, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping it's customers. I'd really appreciate it.

Ulysses

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 days ago.

Anything else to discuss about the locks issue? I'm here.