How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96405
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 16 year old adopted child. My mother mentally abuse me

Customer Question

Hi, I am 16 year old adopted child. My mother mentally abuse me on daily basis this effects my emotions and mental status. But my dad is so careless about this issues if
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: british coloumbia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to file emancipation. Is it possible??
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is I am able to apply emancipation. This ill be my first preference
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 16 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are this unhappy.

When you ask about applying for emancipation what exactly do you mean?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Emancipation means I can have my own legal authority like adults
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 16 days ago.

That is not possible in Canada. It is only possible in the US.

In Canada you cannot have legal authority like an adult until you reach the age of majority.

If you move out and find somewhere safe to live then the authorities may not require you to move home or live in a group home but if you move out against the will of your parents they will no longer have to support you financially.

I hope that helps you understand the law.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello, I have more question. My real sister(sister from my birth parents) wants to get my power of autorney. She is 26 now. She is ready to take my responsibility. Is it possible my adopted parents can give her my authority
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 16 days ago.

It is not our POA. She is willing to be your legal guardian

That is fine so long as your adopted parents agree.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions