Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it customary for a lawyer to prolong a divorce in order

Customer Question

is it customary for a lawyer to prolong a divorce in order to collect more money. All family assets do not exceed $177,00.00.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in the province of Alberta, Canada. Peace River to be exact.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. this lawyer has been at this since March 19,2016
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 19 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you saying you believe your lawyer is trying to make up hours to bill you rather than settle this quickly?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
it is my belief. I have provided my lawyer all paper work and she keeps asking for the same information over and over again. Each time she attaches a invoice. What can I do?

You can fire her.

Either she is incompetent or worse and is acting in a manner that can cause her to loose her licence.

If she is asking for things more than once, on more than one occasion that is a bad sign. To bill for it is unethical and unlawful.

I suggest you at least go for a second opinion.

It is not a long time for working on a family law file and so I am not considering the fact that this has been going on since March as sadly that is standard.

But you don't sound like you are being taken care of properly and you don't have confidence with your lawyer which is vital.

Did you know that you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 18 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?